FAQs about the Operations of the Arc NW

Q: What are The Arc of Northwest Wayne County’s business hours?

A: Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Summer Hours Starting 4th of July until Labor Day: Monday – Thursday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and Friday’s 8:30 am – 12:00 pm

Q: What Holidays are The Arc of Northwest Wayne County closed?

A: The Arc of Northwest Wayne County will be closed on the following Holidays: Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day following Thanksgiving, and December 24th through January 1st

Q: Who do I contact after business hours in case of an emergency?

A: The Arc of Northwest Wayne County’s emergency cell phone number is 313-268-2117

Q.  When and where are Board Meetings held?
A.  Meetings are held in The Arc NW Boardroom at 6pm and the schedule for 2017-2018 is as follows:

Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Tuesday, October 10, 2017
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Tuesday, December 12, 2017  (Board Meeting & Holiday Party)

Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Tuesday, March 13, 2018
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Thursday, May 8, 2018  –  Annual Meeting week of May 21
Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Dinner Dance – February 24, 2018
Golf Outing – May 20, 2018


FAQs –  Information on Education, Social Services, Benefits and More


Applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)/Medicaid

Accessing Mental Health Services

Legal Decision Making

Hiring and Managing Personal Assistants

Empowering Parents as Partners- Advocacy and the IEP Process 2017

New Michigan Dept. of Health and Human Services Person Centered Planning Policy

State Complaint vs Due Process Hearing Request
Navigating your child’s special education services can be challenging. Issues may arise that can be resolved through meetings and talks with administrators, teachers, and support staff. But sometimes, after these efforts have not been successful, it may be wise to think about formally resolving a dispute through a state complaint or due process hearing. But what is the difference and where do you start? Here is a simple explanation of the differences between a state complaint and due process hearing request:

State Complaint:

  • File if the school district has violated the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
  • File if the school district has violated the Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education (MARSE)
  • Anyone can file a state complaint
  • The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) investigates the complaint and reports findings and recommendations

Due Process Hearing Request:

  • File to resolve a disagreement about the identification, evaluation, eligibility, educational placement, or manifestation determination of a student
  • File if the school district has violated your child’s right to a free appropriate public education under IDEA
  • Parents, guardians, and school districts can file due process hearing requests
  • An Administrative Law Judge hears evidence from both parties and makes a decision

It is important to note that school districts typically consult with their attorneys when a due process hearing request is filed, so it may be beneficial for you to consult with an attorney as well, if you file a hearing request.

For more information about state complaints and due process hearing requests, including how to write a complaint/hearing request and where to send them, visit the Michigan Department of Education at, or go to:,4615,7-140-6530_6598_7363—,00.html